Scientific Certification Systems
Public Relations Manager
Opportunity for motivated, multi-talented, mission-driven individual seeking to put your public relations experience, strategic thinking, and persuasive writing skills to work in support of a sustainable environment. This is a hands-on position, so prepare to roll up your sleeves!
Scientific Certification Systems (SCS), operating since 1984, is a nationally recognized neutral third-party certifier of environmental and food safety claims. SCS program areas include: sustainable forestry, sustainable fisheries, sustainable flower production, sustainable agriculture, pesticide residue free and organic food certification, food safety inspection and certification, environmental claims certification, electric power environmental performance certification, and more. We are currently seeking a Manager of Public Relations for our Emeryville headquarters.
- Collaborate with senior company personnel and the Manager of Creative and Brand Services toward the development and execution of a strategic marketing communications and public relations plan for the company, spanning all departments.
- Direct the planning, development, and execution of all public relations and public outreach activities — e.g., writing press releases and pitching stories, writing articles for publication, implementing a community outreach campaign, development of collateral materials, etc.
- Support content development, maintenance, continued enhancement, and maximization of the company’s web site.
- Network to and build relationships with key media and NGOs associated with our business areas.
- Contribute to the design, editing and production of company printed materials, including research papers, educational materials, brochures, guides, articles and other publications.
- Manage major company events and trade show participation.
- Support the communications needs of SCS’s certification customers.
- Provide support to Department Directors for key communications assignments, both technical and non-technical, and work to ensure the effective coordination and integration of activities among the various departments.
- BA+ in related field (e.g., English, journalism, public relations, marketing communications)
- Exceptional writing and editing ability, with track record of tackling wide range of topics, both technical and non-technical in nature
- 3-5 years of experience in public relations, working with an array of marketing communications tools
- Proven editing skills and ability to address target audiences
- Computer literacy (e.g., Microsoft Office products, Internet research, media databases.) Graphics capabilities a plus. Mac and DOS experience preferred.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of industry, government, media, environmental organizations, and the public.
- A sense of humor
Applicants should be highly organized, motivated problem solvers, capable of working with minimal supervision, meticulous, and resourceful. You must be interested in working in a small company (30+ employees). You must be capable of working under pressure and juggling assignments in this challenging, fast-paced work environment. This position involves extensive client contact.
Please email resume and cover letter, including salary requirements and description of how your experiences connect to our needs and mission. Interviewed candidates will also be asked to bring examples of work. For more information about SCS, go to www.scscertified.com.
No recruiters, please.
Other ways to contact poster:
Send resume to:
Scientific Certification Systems
2000 Powell St., Suite 1350
Emeryville, CA 94608
No faxes, please
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
No phone calls, please!
Reposting this message elsewhere is OK.
email to: firstname.lastname@example.org